Sunday, February 13, 2005

India, Pakistan and the vexed Issue of Kashmir

Today I was planning to analyze the results of some of the leading IT companies and try to get the wind of the future direction of the IT offshoring sector in general. Instead accidentally I came across a website with opinions on the vexed issue of the Kashmir dispute between India and Pakistan. When I initially read the admittedly well written article I just could not digest some of the thoughts penned in the article. Later however doubts about my own opinions crept into my mind. So I have decided to write what went through my mind during and after reading the article, deciding to defer my earlier plans by a couple of days. So coming back to the actual contents of the article I assume that most people living across the Line Of Control would have been educated to think along the same lines, just as we the Indians are educated on the issue in one way. Any was as I was reading the article it was becoming clear to me that the author was trying to give the impression that India was the aggressor and bully which was using overwhelming military force to cling on to its annexed territory of Kashmir. That the Kashmiries were yearning to join Pakistan. That Pakistan was the just party- trying to empower the Kashmiries and give voice too their aspirations by way of its support to a plesbicite. Naturally as an Indian, a person whose knowledge of the issue is entirely derived from CBSE history textbooks and the routine one sided reporting by the Indian media, initially my attitude towards the article was belligerent. Some of which is reflected in the comment I made on it spontaneously with out thinking about the issue objectively. Even so immediately after making the comment I regretted making it. On second thought’s the article was very objective and was not trying to paint a picture about one side or other infact I guess it was a sincere attempt to bring out the facts about the issue. Ok probably the comments regarding Nehru and Lady Mountbatten, That about the Indian sides perceived delaying tactics on kashmir talks was not entirely accurate, atleast from an non pakistani perspective. It is also understandable that a normal common pakistani man can never come to terms, or accept the fact I stress the fact that his government did Indeed at some point of time aid and abet terrorists. However for most part it trotted along the path, which both the governments would rather not hear about, their vested interests in keeping the issue simmering. Probably I was too harsh in my judgement.

The thing that is really plaguing my mind after reading it, (I don’t know why the thought did not occur to me before) is it possible that we are holding kashmiries against their wills within India? Why is it that we are reluctant to have a plesbicite? If the answer to the former question is yes then I am ashamed of the leaders who have done such grave injustice to the people of Kashmir, the same logic applies to the pakistani leaders if they are at fault. Any way I guess as the Indians get more educated through the web and more assertive as they prosper I guess they will have the guts to try and find answers to these were important questions, till such time I hope the talks and the cease-fire holds and proceeds in a positive manner.

The Iran, Pakistan and India gas pipeline is a step in the right direction I hope that we have the courage to take many such steps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home