Monday, January 17, 2005

When is your Boss scolding you?

Well this is a real life incident and to be honest it is my experience. It is for the uninitiated (Those like me who are fresh out of college and are working in the corporate environment for the first time), take note and beware if you ignore this warning it would be to your detriment.

Me: Excuse me, you wanted to meet me.
X: Sit down… Did you do some study about the product I had asked you to.
Me: No I had some probs accessing the net…
X: Dint I tell you to use some one else machine.
Me:…
X: See (Shows email from X’s boss) my boss is asking me if I had done some follow up on his earlier mail asking me to do some research on the product….. You have to understand, if big ppl tell you some thing you have to get back within a day or two.
Me: (Coolly pointed) Well that email (From big boss) is about some other product not relevant to me.
X: Oh…., I must be dreaming. I don’t know what happened….. I am sorry, " some times I may get a bit too harsh and scold you. You must not mind and become afraid of me"…… blah-blah
After this suddenly I was really afraid. Is this what you call scolding? You must understand that for a hardened veteran like me what happened never sounded like scolding, in fact it felt like an amicable discussion, but for the inadvertent mistake by X I would never have found out.
The crucial learning from this incident is that in a corporate environment the slightest hint of some thing being some how unsatisfactory is to be construed as severe criticism and the onus is on you to take corrective measure.
Hopefully after reading this you will know when your boss is actually scolding you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home